The American Chemistry Society established the National Historic Chemical Landmarks program in 1992 to enhance public appreciation for the contributions of the chemical sciences to modern life in the United States and to encourage a sense of pride in their practitioners. The program does this by recognizing seminal achievements in the chemical sciences, recording their histories, and providing information and resources about Landmark achievements.
This is to announce the presentation of a Historic Landmark Award commemorating research at Pittsburgh’s Mellon Institute in its early years. This will be a joint meeting of the Pittsburgh Section of the ACS and the Chemistry Departments of Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh, and will include awarding the following plaque:
The Mellon Institute of Industrial Research was established in 1913 by Andrew W. and Richard B. Mellon to conduct comprehensive scientific investigations that would serve industry and benefit mankind through the development of industry. The Institute provided research services in the period from its inception through World War II, at a time when relatively few manufacturers operated research laboratories of their own. Hundreds of scientists were trained in fundamental and applied research, many of whom went on to careers in industrial research and development, and companies such as Dow Corning Corporation and the chemical division of Union Carbide Corporation were founded on research performed at the Institute. Located in this building since 1937, the Mellon Institute merged with the Carnegie Institute of Technology in 1967 to form Carnegie Mellon University.
Click to download Mellon Institute of Industrial Research.
Click to download the Chemical & Engineering News Article from May 6, 2013.
For more information about the National Historic Chemical Landmarks program, visit www.acs.org/landmarks.